Now enjoy PSL in a malty cake recipe! Here’s a great opportunity to support your favorite local maltster, farmer, and coffee roaster at the same time!
- 1/3 c Pale Wheat Malt
- 1/3 c Pale Oat Malt
- 2/3 c AP Flour
- 2/3 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Peppercorn
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- optional: up to 1tsp finely ground coffee
- 1 c sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c butter or oil
- 1 c roasted squash or pumpkin puree
- 1/4 c coffee
- 1/4 c powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- In a large bowl sift flours and spices together. Mix in sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, 1/2 cup butter (melted and cooled) or good quality oil, and roasted squash or pumpkin puree from your favorite local farmers market vendor.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold together until thoroughly combined.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease a loaf pan or muffin tin. Line the loaf with parchment or the muffin tin with paper cups for easier unloading. Load the batter into the pan or tins.
- Bake loaf for 40-50 minutes in a convection oven, and 50-60 min in a still oven, or about 2/3 bake time for muffins. The top should rise and crack, brown deeply, and a knife or toothpick should come out clean when pierced into the center.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before unloading.
- Make a paste with the sugar, salt, and 1T coffee. Whisk in the remaining coffee.
- Pour over the top of the cake and let it stream down the sides.